A trustworthy garage door opener is undoubtedly an invaluable asset for any home. A best-quality garage door opener gives access to your garage and storage space all year long, but it is also considered as one of the primary security measures you should take for your home’s safety.
Garage door openers typically last for decades if you select the right variant according to your needs and necessities. But, how to get the best opener for yourself? You don’t have to worry anymore, as we have come up with the best possible garage door opener buying guide for your next big purchase.
Garage Door Opener Buying Guide
While choosing the right garage door for your house- there are some questions and answers to those make it even easier for you to choose the correct garage door opener for your home or office spaces. Some of the questions are-
- Does your old garage door make a lot of noises while operating?
- Do you want remote access to your garage door and operate it from inside your room or car?
- Is your garage door being used as the main entrance to your house?
- How efficient and functional do you need your garage door to be?
Once think of these before entering into the Garage Door Opener buyer’s guide.
How to choose a Garage Door Opener?
If you don’t know which garage door opener to buy for your garage, check out this garage door opener guide. Consider all the below factors and make the best choice.
What motor style is best for Garage Door Openers?
Garage door openers come in both AC power and DC power variants. But the DC machines have become the universal benchmark for garage door openers, and there are some reasons behind that. AC powered garage doors are way louder and heavier in size as they require more components to fit in.
On the other hand, DC powered garage door openers are way lighter and quieter than the traditional AC motors. DC motors also comprise many more additional features, unlike the AC powered doors, which we will discuss in the later section.
Weight and Height of the Garage Door
If you keep your bet on those standard single aluminum doors, you can keep your trust on those ½ horsepower garage door openers. Otherwise, if you are required to open the garage door pretty often or the door you placed is pretty heavier and larger, then you should look for a door opener with ¾+ horsepower.
Garage Door Opener Types
Garage door openers come in three types of drive options, and each one of those has its advantages and disadvantages. Let check out about those in detail to select the best type of garage door opener:
- Chain drive: These are the most traditional garage door openers and the most affordable as well. Chain drives are durable and long-lasting due to their time trusted and rugged design. Being a traditional one chain drive garage doors are always the best choice for aluminum garage doors. Periodic maintenance is also required to keep them in shape.
- Belt drive: The next variant is Belt driven garage door opener, which is manufactured with reinforced steel and known for a pretty long-lasting and noise-free performance. These belt-driven garage door openers are known for disturbance-free performance, hence a perfect choice if your garage is located near the bedrooms or nursery.
- Screw drive: They are known for its durability, reliability, and quick operation. Screw driven garage door openers are the most advanced technology among the lot. Built with forged steel screw drive type is a directly driven system hence extremely powerful. Due to its faster speed and power, these door openers are perfect for wider and heavier garage doors.
If you use the garage door as the main entrance to your house, you should look for some added security measures. You should look for features like safety beam, non-contact reversing system, intellicode security, and emergency release cords to make the overall business more safe and secure. Moreover, most of the great quality openers come with vacation lock systems, which ensures safety even when you are not on the premises.
Some more features to consider
Features like online app connectivity for better monitoring to sufficient battery backup for operating the door while power is out are some of the additional features you should look out for while buying your next garage door opener. Space and convenience are also one of the important considerations you should check out while buying the device. You should not only look out for garage door openers to maximize the available space inside your garage. Yet, they should be loaded with smart features like online monitoring and Scheduling for your convenience.
Best Garage Door Openers – Suggestions
According to the factors we have discussed above, we have enlisted some door opener models that we find suitable for every aspect. Check and choose the best garage door opener as per your requirement. Some of them are:
- Chamberlain MyQ Smart Garage Door Opener MYQ-G0301
- Chamberlain B970 Smartphone Controlled Garage Door Opener
- Genie Aladdin Connect – WiFi Smart Garage Door
Finally, it is time to conclude about how to buy a garage door opener. We have tried to incorporate as many factors as possible here to make it easier for you to buy your next garage door opener. Go through above garage door opener buying guide, and hopefully, this will answer all your questions regarding the device.